In the last few years, the benefits of natural light in a living or working space have grown significantly. As more studies are performed, evidence reveals the importance of daylight exposure in individuals’ physical and mental well-being. While choosing the glass panels for your home, there are many options for industrial glass available. Matte, frosted, opaque, translucent, and acid-etched glass are just a few of the terms you might encounter! The acid etching technique ensures glass produced is of supreme quality and has high-performance standards. Transitioned acid-etched glass is the latest feature in the lineup. The Future of Etched Glass is now!
This article explores what Acid-Etched Glass is and how it is different from the other industrial glasses available in the market.
What is Acid-Etched Glass?
Acid-etched glass refers to a float glass sheet, which has been treated with hydrofluoric acid. The glass permanently changes into a smooth matte translucent surface upon the application of acid. Acid-etching has a distinctive satin-like appearance that allows light through while providing control of vision. It has a surface that is smoother to touch and easier to maintain. It does not degrade or wear. It also does not discolor or pickle and remains smudge-free for an extended period of time. It also resists common cleaners and humidity. Acid etching makes glass capable of withstanding stress. This durability allows you to cut it to any shape or size easily.
It has both indoor and outdoor applications. The etched glass is commonly found in commercial settings in bathrooms, kitchens, doors, partitions, and balustrades. It is used as a glass material for:
- Shower and bath enclosures
- Interior and exterior doors
- Indoor partitions
Benefits of Incorporating Acid-Etched Glass
Etched glass brings with it a host of additional benefits, such as:
- Blocking of heat, glare, and harmful UV rays: Many think that acid-etched glass diminishes visible light transmittance – this is not the case! It has been seen that the visible light transmittance for 6mm clear glass can vary from 88% to 91%, depending on the acid-etched finish.
- Maintains privacy: Haze is created when light passes through this glass. The light is diffused uniformly into the entire area permitting the occupant to benefit from the natural light.
- Provides a helping hand in healthcare: The use of etched glass products in healthcare makes a significant difference in healing. Patient benefits include shorter hospital stay, reduction in pain, and faster recovery.
- Boosts student performance: Excellent daylighting in a classroom setting reduces eye strain, alleviates the visual stress associated with reading, and improves the ability to process information and learn.
- Not just for humans but also helps animals: It provides the highest chance for birds to identify the glazed surface and avoid a collision.
Tips for Acid Etched Glass Buying
A significant benefit of etched glass is its versatility. This glass comes in both transparent as well as opaque form. This characteristic is essential in choosing the type of glass when privacy is the pivotal factor. The level of transparency or opacity of etched glass depends on where the finished product is being installed.
Do you require glass panels for partitions in the rooms? Glass shower cabinets? Cubicles for the Office? Public accommodations? Here are some quick tips on purchasing the right glass for your project:
- Industrial glass businesses generally offer two options – opacity and gradient. Gradients of etched glass can begin at 20 percent and end at 80 percent. With light dusting, one can achieve an opacity level of 10 to 20 percent.
- You can also find a clear glass panel with zero opacity, fading into a 100 percent full-frost. Heavy frosting of glass can give zero clearness for complete privacy while still allowing light to penetrate the glass.
- It would help if you defined the level of opacity you want when ordering the frosted etched glass. The range is 0 percent (completely clear) to 100 percent (completely opaque). It would be best to inform the glassmaker where the opacity starts explicitly and ends in between a range.
The acid-etched glass allows natural light to enter a highly dispersed space while blocking harmful elements of sunlight that other industrial glasses without any coating, etching, or other treatment tend to lose out on. Etched glass is proving itself to be a powerful tool for optimizing daylight passing through it compared to other types of glasses and is bound to be a popular material in the future.